Thursday, March 29, 2012

Philippine Army troops undermine truce, provoke MILF fighters in Lanao

 

 From the Website of MILF

links:  http://www.luwaran.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2598:philippine-army-troops-undermine-truce-provoke-milf-fighters-in-lanao&catid=31:general&Itemid=41

 

Philippine Army troops undermine truce, provoke MILF fighters in Lanao


March 29, 2012 – Troops of the 15th Infantry Battalion (IB) of the Philippine Army had been massing up since early morning today at an area bordering Tagoloan and Panggao in the municipality of Munai,  Lanao del Norte.
Tagoloan and Panggao are interior areas and known as MILF community in Munai. When a firefight would transpire in the area between the government soldiers and MILF mujahideen, then it would be a situation similar to the encounter in Bakisung, Al Barka, Basilan last October 18, 2011.

The past days, these government soldiers had been deploying troops and moving around the area in utter disregard of the ceasefire accord between the Government of the Philippines (GPH) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).


Not far from the disposition of these government soldiers are the positions of MILF fighters under the 102nd Base Command of the Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces (BIAF – MILF).
A ground commander of BIAF reported the prevailing situation to MILF Coordinating Committee on the Cessation of Hostilities (CCCH), citing ceasefire violations being committed by the government forces.

The troops of 15th IB in full battle gear on board scores of military vehicles, upon reaching Panggao and Tagoloan, immediately moved around the area and closing in to the positions of the MILF fighters, the commander told MILF CCCH.

He said that more troops of the 15th IB are on way to the area as augmentation and reinforcement, adding the information reaching them that the target of the Philippine Army troops is to pin down a BIAF top commander, which he did not identify.

If the government is really sincere and committed to the ceasefire and the peace process then these government soldiers must observe and respect the ceasefire accord and the established ceasefire mechanisms.

The MILF CCCH had informed its counterpart with the government and the International Monitoring Team (IMT), which monitors the adherence to the GOH – MILF Ceasefire Accord, of these uncoordinated acts and movements of the troops of the 15th IB, Philippine Army.

According to MILF CCCH, there was no coordination made by the government ceasefire bodies to both the MILF CCCH and MILF Adhoc Joint Action Group (AHJAG). It is gathering more information necessary to filing the protests of ceasefire violations against the government.

“These deployment and movements of government forces were blatant violations of the ceasefire accord between the government and MILF,” pointed out by MILF CCCH Chairman Said Shiek.

Shiek said “it is a clear provocation that can trigger firefight between the government and MILF forces, which we hope would not happen.”

“Lamentably, this act of the 15th IB contravenes the policy of President Aquino on the primacy of the peace process,” he said.




 MILF Website



links:   

http://www.luwaran.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2598:philippine-army-troops-undermine-truce-provoke-milf-fighters-in-lanao&catid=31:general&Itemid=41