Friday, September 13, 2013

Over 100 cops to beef up troops vs MNLF fighters in Zamboanga City

From the Website of INQUIRER
links: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/487011/over-100-cops-to-beef-up-troops-vs-mnlf-fighters-in-zamboanga-city

Over 100 cops to beef up troops vs MNLF fighters in Zamboanga City

By Jamie Elona
INQUIRER.net
2:18 pm | Friday, September 13th, 2013
 
Photos courtesy of region 3 police office
MANILA, Philippines — Over 100 police personnel were deployed to Zamboanga City Friday to augment government troops fighting members of the Moro National Liberation Front as the standoff continued on its fifth day, according to the Region III Police Office.
Chief Superintendent Edgardo Ladao said the 120-man contingent from the region’s Regional Public Safety Battalion, led by Senior Inspectors Elias Tait and Alipio Villavicencio, was sent to Zamboanga City in line with the “Tour of Duty of PNP Personnel Deployed in Armed-Conflict Areas, Counter- Insurgency Operations and other Similar Serious Threats to National Security”. 

Ladao said the deployed police officers were among the best and skilled personnel who have undergone tactical and combatant trainings. 

“Courage is being afraid, but going on anyhow. Fear of the unknown and uncertainty is but natural. But remember that it is in the most adverse situations that great opportunities come. Be proud that you were chosen for this mission and that you are among the few who have heed to the call of duty. Above all, do not forget to pray.” Ladao said, borrowing a quote from Dan Rather, an American journalist and former CBS Evening News anchor. 

The troops will remain deployed in Zamboanga City until the situation normalizes.
The standoff between government forces and MNLF rebels in Zamboanga City started Monday after they took hostage dozens of civilians from Barangay (village) Sta. Catalina.
Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas said five villages were affected, but added that the MNLF rebels have been surrounded by government troops in a “very, very small portion of Zamboanga City.”




--------------------------------------------------------------------

Aquino: Military operation in Zamboanga to continue

Bodies of 6 MNLF gunmen retrieved

By Julie Alipala, Dennis Santos
Inquirer Mindanao
1:53 pm | Friday, September 13th, 2013
 
Government troopers continue their assault on Muslim rebels Thursday, Sept. 12, 2013, at Zamboanga city in the southern Philippines. Philippine troops battled Muslim rebels on two fronts Thursday, after extremists attacked a second city near the southern port where guerrillas have been holding scores of residents hostage in a four-day standoff with government forces. AP Photo/Bullit Marquez, File
ZAMBOANGA CITY – President Benigno Aquino III said here Friday that military operations would continue in an effort to dislodge Moro National Liberation Front guerrillas who have occupied three seaside districts of this city since Monday. 

As this developed, authorities disclosed that the bodies of six slain MNLF men had been recovered following the latest clashes in the Sta. Catalina section of Zambonga City.
Three other MNLF guerrillas were captured.




INQUIRER Website



links:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/487011/over-100-cops-to-beef-up-troops-vs-mnlf-fighters-in-zamboanga-city

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/486993/aquino-military-operation-in-zamboanga-to-continue





OTHER HUMAN RIGHTS PROMOTIONS WEBSITES


Human Rights Advocacy Promotions | Human Rights

Home - Human rights Promotions Website



PROTECTION AND PROMOTION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------